Saturday 31 October 2015

Vintage Floral Shirtdress

A long held sewing dream has been realised. I have finally made M6696. After seeing many amazing versions, especially all of Mary's and Heather's (I would steal both of these lady's wardrobes in a heartbeat), I knew I had to get hold of the pattern. I finally bought it a few months ago and it went on the back burner til after my thesis was finished.

Though the plan is to make many of these dresses, my specific plan was to use up the rest of my bridesmaids dress fabric. But because this fabric is very special, I knew I needed a wearable muslin first.

At first I wasn't too sold on this fabric. I picked it up very cheap at a market a while back (it was either fabric-a-brac, or the closing down sale of my local vintage shop). It's very 60's/70's, and was also very narrow. And even though I am a massive fan of florals, I felt it was a little too girly. I thought a shirt dress would work well, as the more structured lines would make less girly. However, after making and wearing this dress, I love the fabric. Funny how that happens.





I made a few minor changes to the pattern. I really do not like the back gathers that come with the pattern, so I modified the back pattern piece to the darts of Simplicity 2444. This was also a trick I did with my wedding dress. Secondly I shortened the waist half an inch. This makes a massive difference. I am finding a few of my older dresses are too long in the waist, so this will be a standard adjustment from now on. For reference I cut a size 12 with the A/B cup.

I also modified the skirt slightly, but this was to do with the width of the fabric. The fabric wasn't wide enough to take the full pleated skirt. I deliberated on using the straight skirt option, but I was concerned it would need a bit of fitting over the hips, so stuck with the fuller option. My modifications were very unscientific. The waist seam just fit across the width, and then I folded in the rest of the pattern to fit.

The dress went together really easily. I used Four Square Wall's collar tutorial and it went in smoothly first go. I hand sewed down everything.

Pattern: McCall's 6696

Size: 12A/B

Fabric: Vintage floral, picked up second hand

Adjustments: Back gathers to darts, shortened waist, narrowed skirt

Notions: Pink shank buttons from Reverse Garbage

Wear with: pink pearl set, and pink ballet flats

Make again? Yes, I am hoping this pattern will become a TN.

Hoping to be back soon with the bridesmaid dress fabric version


8 comments:

  1. What a lovely shirtdress!! :) Shirtdresses are definitely my favorite - they're so comfy, ladylike, and vintage!
    Lovely job, Kaitlyn! The fabric you used for it is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much Esther :) I think this style is very quickly going to become a favourite

      Delete
  2. Such a delicate looking print - very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so pretty :) Can't wait to see the bridesmaid fabric version!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen, I have that version half cut out, and it is looking good so far

      Delete
  4. This is such a lovely, classic dress. Great job, dear gal! I just adore the soft, feminine hues and the entire silhouette at work here. I live in shirtwaist dresses (seriously) and know that were I a sewer, too, they'd something I'd make in spades.

    Big hugs & happy mid-November wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. I think this. Style will quickly become a favourite

      Delete